|Welcome to Year 5
Teacher: Miss Clarke
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Moreton, Mr Buttery & Mrs Thornett
Autumn Term Objectives
Year: 5 Date: September 2021
This is intended for parents and pupils to share the learning objectives for the term. It also provides targets for the term ahead.
- read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000 and determine the value of each digit.
- round any whole number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 and 100,000.
- read Roman numerals to 1000 and recognise years written in Roman numerals.
- interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with + and – whole numbers, including through zero.
- add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits, including using formal written methods.
- solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems.
- complete, read and interpret information in tables including timetables
Please continue to help your child learn and retain all twelve times tables.
They can practise by completing activities on Times Table Rock Stars and Purple Mash.
|My Maths target is:
To know by heart all multiplication and division facts up to 12 x 12.
Our book this half term is ‘Romeo and Juliet’ by Andrew Matthews and Tony Ross.
In Our English lessons we are going to be:
- Predicting what might happen and read the story together.
- Explore the meaning of new words in context.
- Draw inferences about characters’ thoughts, feelings and motives from their actions – justify with evidence.
- Summarise main ideas from a paragraph/text and identify main ideas from text.
- To plan and develop own ideas for writing to write an narrative with an alternate ending.
- Preparing plays to read aloud and to perform, showing intonation through tone, and volume so that the meaning is clear to an audience.
|Other useful information for this term:
- Music for Y5 is on Mondays so please remember to bring your instrument.
- P.E. is on a Thursday afternoon. Please make sure you are wearing correct sports kit to school. A blue or black tracksuit is acceptable.
- Make sure that long hair is tied back and earrings have been removed.
- To encourage independence, your child is responsible for handing in their reading book when it needs changing. All children will be heard once a week in school and this will be noted in their planner.
- Homework is all set on Google Classroom. English homework set on a Tuesday and due in on Friday.
- Maths homework is set on a Friday and due in on Tuesday.
- Spellings are set on a Friday for a test the following Friday.
Any issues please contact me on email@example.com
Discovery Quest Topic
Topic - How do Ancient Greek cities and beliefs compare to that of other civilisations?
During this topic, we will be: