|Welcome to Year 5|
Teacher: Mrs Perks
Autumn 1 Term Objectives
Year: 5 Date: September 2016
This is intended for parents and pupils to share the learning objectives for the term. It also provides targets for the term ahead.
• To read, write, order and compare numbers to at least
1,000,000 and determine the value of each digit.
• To round any whole number up to 1,000,000 to the
nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 and 100,000.
• To read Roman numerals to 1000 and recognise years
written in Roman numerals.
• To interpret negative numbers in context, count
forwards and backwards with + and – whole numbers,
including through zero.
• To identify multiples and factors.
• To recognise and use square numbers.
• To add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4
digits, including using formal written methods.
• to solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems.
|My Maths target is:
To know by heart all multiplication and division facts up to 12 x 12.
• To increase familiarity with myths including modern
• To explore the meaning of words in context.
• To draw inferences about characters’ thoughts,
feelings and motives from their actions.
• To explore different viewpoints in a text.
• To identify and discuss how language contributes to
meaning and how it impacts the reader.
• To plan and develop ideas for writing.
• In narrative writing, to develop settings and
characters and use grammar and vocabulary to
• To use dialogue to advance action.
• To check writing for correct use of tense.
• In non-fiction, to use sub-headings, headings, bullet
points as appropriate.
• To learn spellings from the Year 5 and Year 6 Word
|My English target is:
I proof-read my work to correct punctuation and spelling mistakes.
|Other useful information for this term:
|P.E. is on a Tuesday afternoon and correct kit must be in school. Long hair must be tied back and earrings removed. To encourage independence, your child is responsible for handing in their reading book when it needs changing. We will be starting music lessons this half-term (Wednesday mornings); the children always enjoy these as it gives them the opportunity to be taught how to play an instrument by specially trained music teachers.|
Making the News -
Life during the Roman Times
We will be learning about:
Making the News -
Life during the Roman Times Homework
Have a go at as many of these homework activities as you can and bring in whatever you do to share in school:
healthy, march long distances, throw a javelin, swim, be calm in battle and fight
with a sword and shield.
then design your own Roman mosaic.
You need to ask 10 questions with 3 possible answers. Make sure one of three is
the correct answer.
your daily life be like?
Little Bloxwich C of E VC Primary School | Grenfell Road | Walsall | WS3 3DL
Tel: (01922) 684301 | Fax (01922) 683627 | Email: email@example.com
Head Teacher: Ellen Taylor