|Welcome to Year 5|
Teacher: Miss Oliver
Spring 1 Term Objectives
Year: 5 Date: January 2019
This is intended for parents and pupils to share the learning objectives for the term. It also provides targets for the term ahead.
To recap the value of decimal numbers as fractions.
To recognise the per cent symbol (%) and understand that per cent relates to the number of parts per hundred.
To write percentage, decimal and fraction equivalents.
To compare, and order fractions with the same denominator.
To recognise mixed number and improper fractions.
To add and subtract fractions with the same denominator.
To multiply proper and mixed number fractions by whole numbers.
To solve problems involving percentage, decimal and fraction equivalents.
|My Maths target is:
To read time on analogue and digital 24 hour clocks and to solve problems involving converting between units of time and to read timetables.
• To increase familiarity with myths including modern
• To explore the meaning of words in context.
• To draw inferences about characters’ thoughts,
feelings and motives from their actions.
• To explore different viewpoints in a text.
• To identify and discuss how language contributes to
meaning and how it impacts the reader.
• To plan and develop ideas for writing.
• In narrative writing, to develop settings and
characters and use grammar and vocabulary to
• To use dialogue to advance action.
• To check writing for correct use of tense.
• In non-fiction, to use sub-headings, headings, bullet
points as appropriate.
• To learn spellings from the Year 5 and Year 6 Word
|My English target is:
I proof-read my work to correct punctuation and spelling mistakes.
|Other useful information for this term:
|P.E. is on a Thursday afternoon and correct kit must be in school. Long hair must be tied back and earrings removed. To encourage independence, your child is responsible for handing in their reading book when it needs changing. Musical instruments need to be in school for music lessons on Wednesdays.|
About fashion from the past and when it was popular.
About different fashion from the decades, designers, influences etc.
About traditional dress from around the world.
To test different materials and if they are suitable for a particular purpose when recycling them.
How to design our own item of clothing for a particular purpose.
What different accessories are and how them compliment an outfit.
How to recycle different materials in different ways to create something new.
How to design our own logo for a fashion brand.
Basic sewing techniques.
How to select, make and combine suitable materials to create new products.
1) Make a keyring out of a shrunken crisp packet.
2) Research a famous fashion designer from the past and create a fact file/poster about them.
3) Draw an outfit from a chosen decade, e.g. 1980’s. what were the significant trends from that time period?
4) Design and make your own outfit out of resources of your choice.
5) How many different new uses can you think of for a cardboard box? Can you come up with at least 10?
6) Make a model replica of your bedroom using recyclable materials e.g. a matchbox for your bed.
7) Design and make a piece of wall art using sweet wrappers.
8) Find out about the damaging effects of unnecessary waste.
9) How long does it take for a plastic carrier bag to break down?
10) Take 5 random items from your recycling bin and then build a tower with them. Do not forget to take a photograph before your tower falls down.
Magic Maths photos
The children have to find pairs of fractions, decimals and percentage equivalents.
The photos below show the children working as a team solving real life problems.
Little Bloxwich C of E VC Primary School | Grenfell Road | Walsall | WS3 3DL
Tel: (01922) 684301 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Teacher: Ellen Taylor