|Welcome to Year 4|
Teacher: Miss Frost
Autumn 1 Term Objectives
Year: 4 Date: September 2016
This is intended for parents and pupils to share the learning objectives for the term. It also provides targets for the term ahead.
• Recognise the place value of each digit in a four-digit
• Order and compare numbers beyond 1000.
• Identify, represent and estimate numbers using
• Round numbers to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000.
• Find 1000 more or less than a given number.
• Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 and 1000.
• Count backwards through zero including negative
• Solve number and practical problems that involve all
of the above, with increasingly large numbers.
• Read Roman numerals to 100 and know that over time
the numeral system changed to include the concept
zero and place value.
• Add and subtract numbers with up to 4 digits, using
the formal written method of column addition and
subtraction, where appropriate.
|My Maths target is:
I know multiplication and division facts for the 6 times table.
Objectives:Writing - discuss writing similar to that which they are planning to write- its structure, vocabulary and grammar, discus and record ideas, compose and rehearse sentences orally, organise paragraphs around a theme, use simple organisational devices and proof read for spelling and punctuation errors.
Reading - listen to and discuss books, increase familiarity with books, retell stories orally, understand the meaning of new words, retrieve and record information, prepare short play scripts to read aloud and perform, draw inferences such as inferring characters feelings and thoughts- justifying with evidence and predict what might happen from the details stated and implied.
Grammar - extend sentences using a range of conjunctions- when, if, because, although, etc, using apostrophes for plural nouns and use inverted commas and other punctuation to indicate direct speech.
Units - Narrative: Stories with Historical settings
Non fiction: Recounts, Newspapers and Magazines.
|My English target is:
Writing - I can compose and rehearse sentences orally before writing.
Reading - I can draw inference to infer characters thoughts, feelings and motives from their actions and justify using evidence from the text.
|Other useful information for this 1/2 term:
• Our Discovery Quest topic is called Active Planet
• Remember to bring your reading book and your Planners every day.
• English Homework set on a Tuesday and due in Friday. Maths homework set on
Friday and due in on a Monday.
• Spellings are given out on Fridays for a test the following Friday.
• P.E is on Wednesdays and Thursdays this half term.
Please remember to bring a drink everyday - either water or squash.
Little Bloxwich C of E VC Primary School | Grenfell Road | Walsall | WS3 3DL
Tel: (01922) 684301 | Fax (01922) 683627 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Teacher: Ellen Taylor